by Rose Nightingale
St. David’s had been holding regular Sunday school and church services in the Town Hall since September 7, 1952. It was soon seen that larger facilities were needed. Arrangements were made to use the premises of the Burwell School. The mission continued to grow over the next two years; even larger facilities were needed. In 1954, a drive was started to collect funds to build a church. Over $70,000 in pledges and gifts resulted.
A building committee was formed. Glynne Shifflet, an architectural firm, was selected to design the church building. An attractive structure resulted which holds 250, including the choir. Sunday School in the undercroft has a capacity for 200. Mr. Atherton resigned to resume studies at the University of Minnesota. A committee was called to find his successor.
The cornerstone was laid for the new building by Bishop Keeler in October. In November 1955, the Rev. Webster Barne was called to become Vicar of St. David’s. The building was dedicated December 19, and the first service held Christmas Day. St. David’s assumed all financial obligations and came into union with the Diocese of Minnesota as a parish at the 100th annual convention on held 1957.
The Rev. Johnson of the mother church noted a special debt of gratitude owed to William Goodwin, first Senior Warden, William Cullen and Richard Tallman, then Senior Warden of St. David’s. Membership was 721 bapized members and 411 communicants.
St. David’s was the fifth mission of St. Paul’s to break away and become independent. Others were St. John’s, Grace, St. Luke’s, and St. James.
Many St. Paulites remember Henry Hoover. Henry was ordained a priest in 1955 and assigned to St. Christopher Church in suburban Roseville. The church grew and he became a prominent gure in diocesan a airs and a deputy to the national General Convention. Henry was brought up in the parish. He and ended Sunday School, served in the choir, was an acolyte, crucifer, and reader. He a ended Shatuck School and Seabury-Western. His parents, Harry and Lillian Hoover, were long time members and very active in St. Paul’s. Their younger son practiced dentistry. Henry died in August 2014.
Another member, David H. Benson, one time youth director, graduated from Seabury-Western in 1957. His ordination on to the diaconate was at St. Mark’s Cathedral. He was assigned to the Church of the Good Samaritan at Sauk Centre and St. Stephen’s Church, Paynesville.