Ground was broken [for Saint Paul’s new building] in late October 1957. The November bulletin contained the Rector’s letter. “This week I had a visit with a man who is to have a great deal to do with our future. He is a tall man whom you can see on the ground at all mes direc ng the work as it progresses.His name is Firehammer but everyone calls him Jack.”
He volunteered the observation of a builder building something of which he could be proud. “This is going to be one of the nest churches in the Northwest.” He explained how the excavation was coming into its nal stages. Footings for the columns were to be poured. Against these footings, which will eventually support columns, a series of braces was temporarily placed to retain the earth and protect the wall on the east side of the property during initial stages of construction.
In another bulletin, Jack is quoted: “Even out here where we are working Mrs. Porter’s reputation as a an excellent cook has spread, so we are making the footings for the walls and beams under the chancel area extra heavy to give ample support in case the rector and his assistant put on too much weight.”
The building of the church progressed and the rector wrote: “It is not often we have the opportunity to see a beautiful church such as this will be and one in which we have such a personal interest go up. Those of us here every day and it is fascinating to watch.”
In February 1958 the buildings and land on Franklin Avenue were sold for $40,000. The new owners, a church music publishing house, would occupy the parish house on July 1, and have occasional use of the church and organ. St. Paul’s would have priority over use of the church itself until December 31. Certain movable and portable parts were to be brought to the new church. The pews were not to be moved. The stained glass windows, although memorial gifts, had to be left in the building also. Most of the interior woodwork, choir pews, and as much as possible of the decorative woodwork were to be worked into the new church. Some of the choir pews were memorials to former choir members and choirmasters.
The Waite-Memorial Austin organ was carefully removed and completely cleaned and rebuilt before installed in the special organ loft in the new building. The Vestry was assured the new Beim Memorial Parish house could be occupied by September, and the church itself by December 1958.
(Note: Pictures of the church being built are in the Memorial case in the Narthex.)