A brief note about Alice Emery. After Bishop Emery died, Mrs. Emery moved back to Minneapolis. Then she went to New York and worked for several years for the National Church. She moved back to Minneapolis and attended St. Paul’s. Alice was very active in all areas of the church and well loved by all. In 2005, she moved to the Episcopal Church Home in St. Paul and was only there a short time when she had a heart attack and died.
In 1947, St. Paul’s again refused merger with St. Mark’s. Much study and discussion was held about the future of St. Paul’s. The neighborhood had changed from private homes to apartments and boarding houses. Families were more transient; transportation had improved. The question was: Shall St. Paul’s repair its 70-year-old building or sell the property? This had been the parish home for more than 50 years. Lawrence S. Clark was Senior Warden in 1952. He recognized a possible rift because of firm opinions about repairing or moving. He and the rector appointed a committee to investigate. Sentiment was about even between staying or moving.
The committee’s final report was the church should move. The preferred location was the north end of Lake of the Isles, Kenwood Park. The Minneapolis Park Board had just sold land in the Glenwood Park area to the Prudential Life Insurance Company for its new office building. A consultation was arranged to explore purchase of park land for the church. The Park Board said “No”. The Vestry decided to stay at Franklin and Bryant for at least ten years, watching for possible locations. Money was appropriated for refurbishing the church inside and out. The Austin organ was completely taken apart, overhauled, and enhanced with an electric console. When it was reassembled, chimes were included in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence S. Clark, Sr.’s daughter Mary.
1954 was an historic year for the Anglican Church and especially the Episcopal Church. For the first time in history, the World Anglican Congress was to be held in Minnesota. This was partly in recognition of the work Bishop Keeler was doing worldwide as well as in his home diocese. Delegates from all over the world convened in Minneapolis. Most discussion groups were held at St. Mark’s Cathedral, and some were held at Hennepin Avenue Methodist Church.
On August 4, 1954, the opening service was held in the Minneapolis Auditorium. His Grace, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and clerics including Most Rev. Geoffrey F. Fisher, the Rt. Rev. Henry Knox Sherrill, and the Rt. Rev. Stephen E. Keeler conducted the service. Among honored guests were priests, bishops, and archbishops from England, Ireland, Scotland, India, Australia, West Indies, Japan, Canada, parts of Africa, South America, and every section of the United States. A banquet in appreciation of Bishop Keeler was given at the Nicollet Hotel in Minneapolis with an overflow crowd. On Sunday morning, August 8, Archbishop Fisher celebrated Holy Communion at St. Paul’s before a crowded church. Members of St. Paul’s housed, transported, and entertained visitors, demonstrating true hospitality to many.