And so, Saint Paul’s Parish continued to grow. By 1892, the parish had 450 active members, and Reverend Millspaugh had completed six years of ministry. For his accomplishments, the parish awarded him a vacation trip to Yellowstone Park. He stopped often on his train trip across North Dakota and Montana to spend time with churches and missions. In 1894, he accepted a call to become Dean of Grace Cathedral in Topeka, Kansas; after a year he was consecrated Bishop of Kansas. He was the first of five Rectors of Saint Paul’s Church to become Bishop.
The Reverend Frederick T. Webb, of Great Falls, Montana, became the fourth Rector of Saint Paul’s. Dr. Webb’s tenure was a period of steady accomplishments in a church whose population was growing away from the area; more and more members were moving to Lowry Hill, and further south and west. Old age was also claiming many standbys, who had been members from the beginning.
As Minneapolis expanded west and south over Lowry Hill, many parishioners bought or built homes in this area, and felt the church should follow the movement of this population. Saint Paul’s financial difficulties continued, in part, because of its location between downtown and newer residential areas, and a new mortgage was issued.
A committee of three was appointed to examine property to move the parish. No action was taken for over two years.