From the Parish Archives

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory0 Comments

During World War II a Red Cross unit worked for the program “Bundles for Britain” at St. Paul’s. When the United States entered the war the unit was divided into two teams – one sewed hospital gowns, the other prepared surgical dressings. Some 125 women made thousands of these articles every Monday and Wednesday. Troop 98 Boy Scouts were a part of St. Paul’s for many years. They had a room in the Undercroft and … Read More

Read More

From the Archives – Neighborhood Involvement Program

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory0 Comments

by Rose Nightingale In 1969, Saint Paul’s joined with four other congregations in Kenwood to found the Neighborhood Involvement Program (NIP) under the direction of Social Worker, Judy Justad. It was designed to focus their joint ministry to help meet a diverse array of human needs in the Wedge area between Hennepin and Lyndale Avenues from Franklin to Lake Street. Original sponsors were: Saint Paul’s, Lake of the Isles Lutheran, Trinity Community (Baptist) and Grace … Read More

Read More

Contemporary Service – from the archives

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory0 Comments

In the 1960s winds of change swept the church as well as society. City population declined sharply, including that of Minneapolis. With it went the membership of  inner-city churches. Civil rights and peace movements weighed on everyone’s consciences. Ancient languages of the church came under criticism, as new biblical translations and archeological discoveries opened new horizons of faithful understanding for many church people. A study for revision of the hymnal and prayer book began in … Read More

Read More

From the Parish Archives – Stained Glass Windows

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory0 Comments

by Rose Nightingale On January 1, 1963, the house in Edina of the Rev. Vernon Johnson was sold back to him. The church had purchased it from him when he became rector, to be used as the rectory (years ago the church used to own the house the rector lived in. Now the rectors buy their own). After more than 13 years the Rev. Johnson was resigning due to his personal struggle with alcoholism. His … Read More

Read More

Advent Sunday 1958

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory0 Comments

The goal of holding services in the new church building was Advent Sunday, 1958. Much of the furniture from the old church was transferred to the new church. Worship in the old church was in pretty bare surroundings. The memorial organ (which has since been replaced and in a different location) was placed in a special loft. The brass lectern, a memorial from 1892, was used in the new church until the new carved-wood one was incorporated in … Read More

Read More

Groundbreaking

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory0 Comments

Ground was broken [for Saint Paul’s new building] in late October 1957. The November bulletin contained the Rector’s letter. “This week I had a visit with a man who is to have a great deal to do with our future. He is a tall man whom you can see on the ground at all mes direc ng the work as it progresses.His name is Firehammer but everyone calls him Jack.” He volunteered the observation of … Read More

Read More

From the Parish Archives – September Edition

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory, Church News0 Comments

contributed by Rose Nightingale In 1956, an important phone call from the Bishop got the ball rolling to relocate the church. The Searles mansion at 1917 Logan Avenue was for sale and St. Paul’s had rst right of refusal. This happened to be the preferred loca on of the committee. Harold Tearse was the owner and a former member of St. Paul’s. Mrs. Tearse was a Searles. The price was $50,000. The Rev. Johnson put … Read More

Read More

From the Parish Archives – August 2016

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory0 Comments

by Rose Nightingale St. David’s had been holding regular Sunday school and church services in the Town Hall since September 7, 1952. It was soon seen that larger facilities were needed. Arrangements were made to use the premises of the Burwell School. The mission continued to grow over the next two years; even larger facilities were needed. In 1954, a drive was started to collect funds to build a church. Over $70,000 in pledges and gifts resulted. … Read More

Read More

The 75th Birthday Pary – 1955

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory0 Comments

by Rose Nightingale In 1955, Saint Paul’s was 75 years old. Every opportunity was taken to involve members of the parish in celebrating. Committees were established, co-chaired by Lawrence S. Clark and Charlotte Weld. A special issue of the Messenger was published in May 1955 with photographs of rectors, church buildings and missions. Former rectors were invited, active and inactive, to attend services, receptions and dinners. Dr. Knickerbocker had been injured in an automobile accident … Read More

Read More

From the Parish Archives – June 2016

Saint Paul's ChurchHistory0 Comments

Rose Nightingale A brief note about Alice Emery. After Bishop Emery died, Mrs. Emery moved back to Minneapolis. Then she went to New York and worked for several years for the National Church. She moved back to Minneapolis and attended St. Paul’s. Alice was very active in all areas of the church and well loved by all. In 2005, she moved to the Episcopal Church Home in St. Paul and was only there a short … Read More

Read More